Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Merry Christmas 2010

Wow!!! This was the best week ever! I Love the excitement and love that was everywhere this Christmas season! I love how nice everyone is! We went pass the mall and sadly there were Bums at every corner but it was so nice to see so many people stopping to give what they could! We also tried the past week to find a place (Food bank or Homeless shelter) to do service on Christmas eve and Christmas but every attempt we made failed! They all said the volunteer list for those days were filled in advance of over 3 months ago! It was such a bummer but also a relief to see how many good people are still in the world! We finally got to serve at the restaurant "Old Chicago" and we set up for a homeless dinner they hold on Christmas! It was a ton of fun! We got to hang out with some families on those days too and we played Christmas songs on the Uke.! We had 2 lessons set up and as we taught of the birth of Christ we were filled with the spirit! It was amazing to see how hearts are open this time of year! We asked the 2 investigators who they knew that would receive the message from us and both took us to others in the neighborhood and we got in to share messages! We found new people to teach and we were so excited to see how God does work miracles! We met a crazy Black lady named 'Margarita' and simply put... SHES A NUTT! Our investigator took us to her and she let us in! The house was super decorated and she had alcohol everywhere! She brought us rock hard, I mean delicious cookies and asked which drink we wanted! I'm not gunna lie, I was prob. scared to eat or drink anything in her house! Her cookies were no joke braking our teeth and it had a crusty white powder on it! We told her "oh we don't drink that kine stuff" and she said in her thick accent... "oh my boys... its ok with mama Margarita" In my mind i was like (ok crazy lady, your really scary and your for sure not my mom!) But we said we would settle for some kool-aid in stead! HAHAHA It was so much fun and after everything she said, she added the phrase "TO GOD BE THE GLORY" I don't know if you can picture this but ill prob. go back to take a picture with her to send home! Long story short she kept us in her house for 2 hours and we talked about absolutely nothing! Fun huh?... Nah but for real she is a swettie and she said she "had our back if anything went down"... Let me just quote the last few min. of our conversation with her before we got out of her house... "Imma tell you straight boys, If any one wanna mess you come runnin to mama! I aint joking you i aint scared! Ill throw down for my boys cause thats the gift God gave me! TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!! I done it before and ill do it again, you let me know! Im like a crazy cherubim with a double edged sword and im spining it fast, Anyone wanna step im waiting!" wow...... I cant believe we got out of there with out laughing too much at her or with her or what ever! It was a super fun but also spiritual Christmas and its one ill never forget! We ate dinner with President Cannon and his ohana and we shared a Message after on the Birth, Earthly Ministry, and Atonement of Jesus Christ! I Loved calling home and talking to you all! I'm so blessed to have the best family and extended family ever! I love you all and hope we all can start this new year with a renewed dedication to serve our Lord more fully and with all our strength! Christmas should, (like the sacrament) be a reminder of how we all should act year round and for the rest of our life! Never let the Cheer, joy, laughter, service, love and peace leave your lives! Keep it and hold on to it and you will be pondering and applying the Birth and Atonement in your lives everyday you live! I love my Savior and the Hope his life brings into mine! I love my mission and watching the Hand of the Lord touch the hearts of my friends (investigators)! Like crazy aunty Margarita, I too feel like saying "TO GOD BE THE GLORY" Till next week! A hui ho!

--
-Elder Runnels

No comments:

Post a Comment